Sunday, June 28, 2015

How-To Buy Vegan Shoes

Sometimes, we complicate things. Like over-thinking footwear. Okay, you can tell I'm not a shoe horse... or is that clothes horse? And where did that saying come from anyway?? It doesn't sound vegan to me! (I am compiling a list of sayings like that for a future post... should be fun.)

A clothes-horse was actually a frame used for drying or airing out clothing. It evolved to mean someone who really likes clothes or is fashionable. So should we further evolve the saying to be vegan-friendly? Call it a clothes-frame? Call a person who loves clothes a clothes-fan? IDK. You tell me. At least shoe trees must be vegan, haha.

Shoes. You can buy vegan shoes almost anywhere, whether it's a handsome men's dress shoe from Alternative Outfitters or a pair of cheap summer flip flops (which I get caught wearing in winter too, if I'm wearing shoes at all). Here in Boston, we have a local vegan shoe store, Sudo Shoes. But you can find vegan shoes everywhere, at any price. I even found a cool pair of canvas sneakers at the craft store last week for $3.33. Not even the thrift shop has deals that good!

No leather. No feathers. No fur. No alligator skin. No emu nostril hairs. Wait, do birds have nostril hairs?? Perhaps, nostril fluff?

How do you know a shoe is vegan? Simple:
Look for "All Man-Made Materials" stamped somewhere on the shoe or tag.
Done. You can now purchase this shoe. See? That was easy.
Not labeled? Ask, or don't buy it. (Hand-me-downs will be a topic for another post!)

No comments:

Post a Comment