Monday, April 6, 2020

How-To Use Your Pantry Staples: Canned Beans

  Perhaps you plan ahead more than I do for meals and have the patience for soaking dried beans. I do have some stashed in the back of the cupboard, but in general, I don't know what I'm making for dinner until people start complaining that they're hungry (okay, sometimes that's constantly, so really I have no excuse). But whether you use dried or canned, beans of any type are a common pantry item. 
  Beans are a wonderful source of plant-based protein. They have tons of fiber too, along with important minerals. A can of beans can make a pile of greens and grains into a hearty meal.

  When I was a kid, the only things I liked about being forced to attend church were the coffee hours and the potluck suppers. My mother never enjoyed cooking. There were two dishes that she alternated between for our family's contribution: meatloaf or bean salad.
  Her bean salad is the only meal I can think of from my childhood that she ever made that I use as an adult. My childhood dinners often consisted of whatever my father requested, or when he wasn't home, some raw fruits, vegetables, and nuts on a plate.
  Oh what I would give for that now! This not shopping for groceries every couple of days business is tough on the morale. Another two months before local CSA produce is ready. But what we do have plenty of is beans.


  Not only is bean salad appropriate for potlucks, it makes a great one-dish meal or filling side dish. It is cooling on a hot summer day. Best of all, it's QUICK. Open the cans, rinse, dump, add a few more things, mix, (chill if you want), eat. Use whatever beans you have... it can be a 13 bean salad if you wish! If you want to omit the mayo and use a bit of extra vinegar instead, then it can also be low-fat. Onion can stand in for scallion and celery can be optional.
  Over the weekend I made bean salad and soba noodles (with a frozen mustard green, edamame, & red pepper mix) for a beach picnic. Very satisfying.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Four Bean Main Dish Salad

1 can chick peas
1 can cannellini beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can cut green beans (or equivalent frozen thawed or steamed fresh)
1 rib celery, chopped
1/4 cup chopped green onion
3/4 cup mayonnaise (I love grapeseed Vegenaise)
1 T. vinegar (red wine vinegar works well)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 pepper
1/2 tsp. dried dill (or 2 tsp. fresh)

Rinse beans. Place everything in a large bowl and mix.
Looks nice served over fresh salad greens.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

No comments:

Post a Comment